[vlc-devel] Solaris configuration scripts fixes

Francois Cartegnie fcartegnie at free.fr
Mon Jan 18 14:23:48 CET 2010

Le lundi 18 janvier 2010, Rémi Denis-Courmont a écrit :
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:20:30 +0100, Francois Cartegnie <fcartegnie at free.fr>

> > So this isn't a solaris bug and vlc must build from any user
> > specified shell. (and shell isn't specified by pkg-config)
>
> The user may want to use a non-POSIX-shell, can't (s)he? Then VLC cannot
> use that shell, or rather, cannot assume it can use the user's $(SHELL).
> However, it can assume that 'sh' is POSIX-compliant.
>
> Then, as far as VLC is concerned, there is a bug. We should prefix the
> script invocation with 'sh '.

Script invocation is already done as "/bin/othershell bootstrap". As the shell
headers overrides the current shell when not prefixed, it does not propagate
to subshells.
You can test yourself. Move /bin/sh to somewhere else: you won't get past half
of bootstrap due to /bin/sh hardcoding.
Autoconf has defined CONFIG_SHELL to get around those problems.
Vlc-config.in.in template has an hardcoded /bin/sh instead of the autoconf
variable. It will always fails at compilation time as well.

Francois