[vlc-devel] commit: New C++ binding for libvlc. ( R?mi Duraffort )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Mon Jan 25 17:25:14 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM,  <jpd at videolan.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 03:14:51PM +0100, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM,  <jpd at videolan.org> wrote:
>> > I said to use the classes wrappers as thin and light as possible
>>
>> I don't think that's the goal unless you are very picky about micro
>> performance optimization *sigh*.
>
> I see no reason to add *easily preventable* overhead for the wrong
> reasons. Make that a habit and it saves some searching for performance
> when you really need it.

I wonder what tool you use to do your performance optimization, and
how you proceed. If this becomes a performance issue (ie, takes
several percent of execution time), this has to be fixed, not the
other way around.

This micro optimization makes no sense here. Non virtual call C++ call
nearly resolves to a call and a load.

Finally, inlining a function that is seldom called will not impact
performance. If you end up calling a function too often, your code
probably need fixup.

Pierre.