[vlc-devel] commit: New C++ binding for libvlc. ( R?mi Duraffort )

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Mon Jan 25 19:20:29 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 05:25:14PM +0100, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
> I wonder what tool you use to do your performance optimization, and
> how you proceed. If this becomes a performance issue (ie, takes
> several percent of execution time), this has to be fixed, not the
> other way around.
>
> This micro optimization makes no sense here. Non virtual call C++ call
> nearly resolves to a call and a load.

Did you even read what I wrote? I don't think you did more than look at
the letters and failed to grep agreement, because I quite clearly stated
what and why, and all you do is merely repeat what was said before.

I didn't say it was critical. I did say it was senseless to introduce
something that a) doesn't gain anything and b) is easily removable.

I did also mention that I'd be perfectly happy with the calls provided
they do gain us something, like complete client independence from the
libvlc C headers. But this doesn't. Therefore it is useless overhead,
however small.

Go read the thread again, for I did explain myself in some detail.