[vlc-devel] commit: Qt: try to avoid a potential race condition (Jean-Baptiste Kempf )

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 15:27:58 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:33 PM, git version control <git at videolan.org>wrote:

> vlc | branch: master | Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> | Fri Jan 29
> 12:31:42 2010 +0100| [5ebb3da913cfe7aa14201eb86321cd5a9dc7978d] | committer:
> Jean-Baptiste Kempf
>
> Qt: try to avoid a potential race condition
>
> If we receive a currentChanged, and currentView ain't set, we might crash
> in
> handleExpansion
>
> Crashes have happened at
> StandardPLPanel::handleExpansion (this=<value optimized out>,
> index=@0x406b56a0) at
> components/playlist/standardpanel.cpp

I would like to clarify thing out to myself. I wonder, was that commit a
direct response of a crash that you experienced? I know that crashes
_happened_ at handleExpansion() but that was a while ago before I fixed the
bug that currentView was not set in StandardPLPanel constructor _at all_. I
believe that as long as it is set at any point in constructor, crashes
shouldn't happen, because I believe that in VLC's case all our events from
core are handled in the main Qt thread, so handleExpansion() will never
happen before the end of StandardPLPanel constructor.
Is that so? ...just for the sake of calirification.

Best regards