[vlc-devel] commit: libvlc: Export libvlc_media_player_get_input_thread(). (Pierre d' Herbemont )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Fri Jan 29 15:38:36 CET 2010

2010/1/29 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:

>>> And I think he's right. It wouldn't make sense. Those are UI extensions.
>>> They're tied with VLC. Do you get Firefox extension when using the Gecko
>>> engine?! Do you get Konqueror plugins when using WebKit? Of course not.
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>> But you have to see that this is not the same thing in the internal.
>> VLC extensions are not tied to a UI. FF are. Extensions here are much
>> like NPAPI plugins. Loaded upon certain conditions and a limited
>> interfaces. This may change in the future right, but for now they
>> don't. Unless you uniformize interfaces.
>
> Err, as far as I can tell, the bulk of the extension work that J-Peg pushed
> was generic dialogs support.

Yes.

> If that's not graphical user interface, then
> I'm not the largest VLC commit author by commits count.

I am not saying that this is no Graphical User Interface stuff, what I
am saying is that it doesn't allow you to modify the UI the way you
can with FF extensions. You cannot change a button or what so ever in
an interface. The dialog UI could very well be done in text, in Qt in
fullscreen etc, it makes it pretty much independent of the hosting
App.

Ok, I also now that the general plan is to go beyond, and have it to
fully customize the interface, which would be cool. Then, yes, you are
right, it makes totally no sense.

> And then the pre-existing LUA code interacts with libvlccore. In
> particular, it uses the playlist. That does not make sense outside of VLC
> proper; it simply won't work. So trying to get extensions to work with
> LibVLC is just a waste of time.

The plugins I had don't.

> If you want to use them in a LibVLC app, rip out the LUA code, and tweak it
> until you are compatible with the VLC LUA.

Well, this is a good idea, and I have this ine mind. What I have so
far works ok, so I think I'll stay with this for some times, and
concentrate on other things. It also depends on how extensions becomes
popular and used.

Ideally the amount of code should be light, but reimplementing it
should be easy.

> Really. That's just like the so
> many browsers compatible with Netscape extensions.

This code is generally in the backend of the browser engine, so the
example is not the best.

Thanks for the feedback,

Pierre.