[vlc-devel] vout.m

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 14 12:53:34 CEST 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:46:43 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 06:43:56PM +0200, Andrea Guzzo wrote :
>> I think that modules/video_output/macosx.m is already a working
>> implementation using the new API.

So I heard.

>> But as far as I saw, the code in modules/gui/macosx/ must be (perhaps
>> heavily) changed to rely on that new implementation.

Considering the scary number of crash bug reports in VLC 1.1, the ever
increasing feature gap to the Windows & Linux ports and the obvious lack of
a regular maintainer, I think we should get rid of the MacOS GUI altogether
and use Qt4.

Oh it won't be as "cool" as a MacOS-specific interface. But at least it has
a chance of working properly, keeping up with the LibVLC features, not
break the build every second week, and be written in a well-known
programming language (_not_ Objective C).

> This is exact.
> This is the way we should do it, IMVHO.
> Moreover doing this correctly would allow using this video output in Qt4
> interface.

Unfortunately, it's not completely straight forward. The Qt4 "window
provider" would need to be extended to native MacOS widgets. In fact, as of
now, LibVLC's vout_window_t structure only supports X11 (X window ID) and
Win32 (HWND).

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis