[vlc-devel] DLNA Server Module Placement

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 21 09:57:01 CEST 2010

   Hello,

Please avoid HTML on this mailing list.

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:05:25 -0500, "Austin Burrow" <atburrow at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I have been working on the DLNA UPnP Server module, but I have run into
> some issues on where exactly I should place it. I currently have it in
> stream_out, but the module does more than stream. The module will
> broadcast itself periodically over the network, so DLNA clients will be
> able to see the server.

There was an early attempt by Clément Sténac a long time ago to provide
an abstraction for announces. Some of that is still left in
src/stream_output/. Unfortunately, announce protocols are typically tightly
coupled with the streaming protocol, so writing a common abstraction seems
quite impossible, and in any case quite useless. Indeed, I don't see much
commonality between SAP announces for RTP streams and UPnP announces for
HTTP streams.

> The DLNA server module will also serve the
> available playlist to the DLNA client over the network using a DLNA UPnP
> protocol (not HTTP).
> Once the playlist is served, the client may request items to be streamed,
> which is where stream_out comes in. So my question to the community is
> this:
> Should I split this up into multiple modules?

This largely depends on what kind of "module" this is. I assume that, to
enable streaming any playlist item, the plugin is actually an interface or
something?
Then it might probably go to modules/control/dlna/ .

Splitting the control part from the streaming output part is a good idea,
if feasible.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis