[vlc-devel] DLNA Server Module Placement

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 09:18:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 01:05:25PM -0500, Austin Burrow wrote :
>> I have been working on the DLNA UPnP Server module, but I have run into some
>> issues on where exactly I should place it. I currently have it in
>> stream_out, but the module does more than stream. The module will broadcast
>> itself periodically over the network, so DLNA clients will be able to see
>> the server. The DLNA server module will also serve the available playlist to
>> the DLNA client over the network using a DLNA UPnP protocol (not HTTP). Once
>> the playlist is served, the client may request items to be streamed, which
>> is where stream_out comes in. So my question to the community is this:
>> Should I split this up into multiple modules? If so, where shall I place
>> them?

> Are they logically independant?

They can be, if the module which streams media is ready to serve any
of the ContentDirectory items at any time (in which case, the only
thing that would be shared between the two modules is the uri scheme).
If you do it this way, you can put the transcoding / streaming part in
a sout module.
Either way, let the upnp part stay in modules/control as that code
belongs to a control interface.

I have a question too: Why not HTTP ?
Many UPNP A/V devices support only the HTTP protocol, and if I
remember well (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time), even
the DLNA spec doesn't mandate that devices support all the profiles,
so I expect HTTP to be the most obvious common denominator between
DLNA compliant devices as well.

Using another protocol exclusively would lead to being incompatible
with most UPNP A/V and DLNA devices.

best regards,
--
Mirsal