[vlc-devel] Kubuntu... *K*one ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 21 18:59:26 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 21 juillet 2010 19:39:46 Reinhard Tartler, vous avez écrit :
> Well, having vlc as default player for kubuntu would:
>
>  - expose it to all kubuntu users by default
>  - more eyeballs from kubuntu devs to integrate vlc more tightly into kde
>  - buy vlc 'official' security support by paid canonical staff

I am all for making VLC the default player over another one. But if it comes
with only Xiph, I would argue there should be NO default player at all. No
VLC, no Kaffeine, no SMPlayer, nothing. Make it as seamless and obvious as
possible how to install a reasonably codec-rich player from the repositories.

Lets face it, a new Linux user or a Windows convert is most likely to try to
play content that is not Xiph nor WebM. You don't want the first impression to
be that it does not work. I am afraid that hurts Ubuntu, the selected player,
and OSS/Linux at large.

Anyway, I have a feeling Kubuntu-devel folks aren't reading this ML.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis