[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] commit: Remove Wrong BDA shortcuts (Manol Manolov )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Jul 22 17:50:06 CEST 2010

Le jeudi 22 juillet 2010 18:43:14 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> Well, I am just wondering who uses:
> "qpsk", "satellite", "qam", "cable", "ofdm", "terrestrial",  "usdigital"?
>
> - "satellite", "terrestrial" seems very long to me to be used in a MRL
> - "qam" is also used on air, like "cqam"
> - "ofdm" is a method, not really a MRL selection scheme

QAM and OFDM are modulations. As you note, QAM is already ambiguous. I guess
OFDM may become ambiguous once we get the second generation DVB standards.

satellite, terrestrial and cable will become similarly ambiguous. In fact,
they already are (DVB? ATSC? DMB? ISDB?)

> - "atsc" is used outside the US, and "usdigital" is then weird
>
> maybe "cable" could be kept.

Will we be able to distinguish DVB-C from DVB-C2 automatically?
What if it's not DVB?

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis