[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] commit: access_http: use only the provided user agent. ( Rémi Duraffort )

Rémi Duraffort ivoire at videolan.org
Sat Jul 31 21:45:07 CEST 2010

> Actually most cases user-agent is added just that server can match
> certain string, I don't think any of those user-agent lookup tries to
> match whole string, only tries to find one certain part in there (like
> quicktime/7 for apple etc). And I agree with courmisch here, that we
> should have libvlc/version un http-user agent.
Probable yes.

> > > Second, I still fail to see the harm in adding LibVLC at the end. I do see the
> > > harm in _not_ adding it.
>
> > I don't know if it harms or not but I see this as some kind of a bug. If
> > we provide an option to override the user agent, it might override it.
> > Maybe the name of the option/variable or the help text is not suitable ?
>
> We could mention that we add libvlc/version to http-user agent string,
> but otherwise it seems to be correct, as user_agent handles also
> application name toward pulseaudio etc?
As I said before I don't really know what the best choice is. I just
wanted this option to be consitent. If we precise that VLC will add
libvlc string and version at the end of the user-agent, you can revet my
commit then. As long as that's consitent I'm fine with it.

Best regards

--
Rémi Duraffort | ivoire