[vlc-devel] [PACKAGERS] Tag 1.1.0-rc2

Dominique Leuenberger dominique at leuenberger.net
Tue Jun 8 00:37:28 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 01:01 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le mardi 8 juin 2010 00:35:47 Dominique Leuenberger, vous avez écrit :
> > >  - alsa should be at the latest version possible,
> >
> > alsa is part of the distribution and as per regular distro policy, not
> > supposed to be touched by external repos.
>
> Well, I did not know OpenSUSE users were all deaf. libasound < 1.0.24 has
> known bugs that are "not unlikely" to prevent audio output, unless PulseAudio
> is used instead. You can't expect VLC to fix ALSA bugs.

every software at a release < $current has known bugs, nothing new
there. We are all aware than even vlc has some :)

Nevertheless, I think it's rather surprising that all the users of
openSUSE 11.0 had sound up to now then; seems alsa is not THAT broken.

1.0.24 is rather a high target though: even openSUSE 11.3, which is in
RC phase and thus frozen, will only have 1.0.23 (which is not too bad,
considering 1.0.23 was released in April 2010... and 1.0.24 is not even
out yet!)

Sorry, but for any distribution, vlc is a leaf package and invalidating
the entire testing effort by just ripping out low-level libraries is
really not the way anybody should want to push anything. Yes, it might
work, and yes, I know of cases in the past where it did not work that
flawless neither.

Versions of alsa in the current openSUSE distributions:
11.0 -> 1.0.16
11.1 -> 1.0.18
11.2 -> 1.0.21
11.3 -> 1.0.23 (11.3 will be released in July)

11.0 is falling out of the official support cycle in a few months, so I
don't really care for that anymore.

Dominique