[vlc-devel] [PACKAGERS] Tag 1.1.0-rc2

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Jun 8 10:17:48 CEST 2010

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 00:37:28 +0200, Dominique Leuenberger
<dominique at leuenberger.net> wrote:
> every software at a release < $current has known bugs, nothing new
> there. We are all aware than even vlc has some :)
>
> Nevertheless, I think it's rather surprising that all the users of
> openSUSE 11.0 had sound up to now then; seems alsa is not THAT broken.

libasound2 <= 1.0.21a usually fails to render any sound after VLC switches
to the "next" media item.
libasound2 <= 1.0.23 reportedly fails completely if the user has an alsa
configuration file and a non-UTF-8 locale.

You might survive with libasound 1.0.22, but anything older is a complete
non-starter for VLC 1.1.

> Sorry, but for any distribution, vlc is a leaf package and invalidating
> the entire testing effort by just ripping out low-level libraries is
> really not the way anybody should want to push anything.

So what? A distro is useless without leaf application packages.

> Yes, it might work, and yes, I know of cases in the past where
> it did not work that flawless neither.

It will _not_ work. If your distro is that bad that it cannot backport
libasound fixes, then you might as well bundle the fixed version statically
in VLC. Or then, have fun with all the support requests.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis