[vlc-devel] Question about input_item_node_* functions

Austin Burrow atburrow at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 02:04:56 CEST 2010

Thanks for your detailed response, that helped out a lot. The downside about using services_discovery_AddItem/services_discovery_RemoveItem is that the whole tree must be rebuilt causing it to flash when it is being rebuilt. This seems like it would add more frustration for the user as they would be unable to expand the tree while the server is pushing updates. An example would be if a person added a large folder (which contained subfolders) to MediaTomb.  MediaTomb would then scan the directory constantly pushing updates. This could go on for minutes depending on how large the folder was. A solution could be to not display the list until it is built, but on the client side there is no way to know how big the list will be. A complete fix for this would be to have access to each node being displayed and having the option to remove it from the list, but as you said, input_item_node_* does not offer that capability, and services_discovery_RemoveItem will remove the whole list.

Regards,

Austin B