[vlc-devel] Services Discovery interface upgrade

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 18:54:55 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Jakob Leben <jakob.leben at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Jakob Leben <jakob.leben at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Since we would have SD item trees composed of sd_node_t, we'd no longer
>> need to use SD through playlist. Instead, playlist would not be a client of
>> SD anymore, but all the former clients of playlist's SD support should
>> become immediate clients of SD.
>>

> Well, now I think that it would be best to keep the playlist-SD bridge
> (thus having a copy of sd_node_t hierarchy in the playlist), instead of the
> big amount of work needed for clients of SD in case of removing the bridge.

 An even better approach without item hierarchy duplication is probably to
separate playlist_item_t interface from playlist_t interface, extend
playlist_item_t with reference counting and SD-related fields and use it for
SD as well. Thus a SD module would control directly a tree of
playlist_item_t, which would at the same time be a child of playlist's root
node.

And I think we would profit a lot by having proper garbage collection for
playlist items anyway!