[vlc-devel] VLC 1.0 series End of Life

xxcv xxcv07 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 09:01:24 CEST 2010

On 18/06/2010 12:04 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> 	Hello,
>
> The official release of VLC media player and LibVLC version 1.1.0 is coming to a
> close. The badly stretched VLC development team is not currently able to
> maintain more than two development branches at a time. The team has been
> focusing on the VLC 1.2 future series and the VLC 1.1 stable series.
>
> As a consequence, source code for VLC 1.0 is not officially unmaintained
> anymore. There will be no further security or major bug fixes. The last version
> was 1.0.6 and will be marked formally obsolete if/when a major issue is
> discovered. I would also like to remind you that:
> - the LibVLC API is known to be broken in all 1.0.x releases,
> - that the Mozilla plugin is broken on X11 platforms in release 1.0.6, and
> - that binary packages (Windows, MacOS) have already been discontinued.
>
> If you need any of these, please update to VLC 1.1.0-RC3 already, or 1.1.0 at
> the earliest.
>
> N.B.: VLC 1.0.5, 0.9.10, 0.8.6i and older versions exhibit known published
> security issues. Update urgently if you have not already done so.
>
> Best regards,

Hi,
Finally for this call. All good!
And 1.1 has been a long long way since VLC was developed 12 years ago.
Truly you guys have done well, not only that but it still isn't perfect.
Anyhow, I was in lost touch with the source code for few months.
I'd like to add I hate the QT interface of 1.1.
Reasons been.
1. Too many hacking.
2. Too messy coding.
3. Too much confusions.
4. Too little development (except the playlist).

JB, what have you been doing all this time QT needs you! Aren't you a
bit of a slacker. (just joking...) Qt module is just about
fine/ok/good/normal/pass (at least it is free).

And I'd like to congratulate you guys on good jobs well done in the core.

I sincerely hope it is to be improved much.
Thank you very much, again truely on your spirits (VLC never gave up!)
to developing a great multimedia application.

Best Regards,
xxcv