[vlc-devel] Trac issue - can't search

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jun 23 19:07:22 CEST 2010

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:59:26 -0400, Andre-John Mas <ajmas at sympatico.ca>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trac appears to have a small issue. When I try searching for anything I
> get the following error:
>
> "Unsupported version control system "svn": Can't find an appropriate
> component, maybe the corresponding plugin was not enabled?"

That's only one side of a set of problems, i.e. that git integration in
Trac sucks big time.

* Unconfirmed and confirmed bugs are not distinguishable by state.
* There is no way to unsubscribe from a bug report.
* Platform selection should be a set check boxes, not a single choice list.
* Integration with commit logs does not work (anymore).
* The wiki is totally useless.
* It is slow.
* It cannot remember your credentials.
* Normal users should not be allowed to change priority and severity.
* The completion field is useless.

But for the most part, it comes down to Trac being an agile software
development ticketing system rather than a bug tracker. Lets face it, there
is no way in hell that VLC will ever follow agile practices. For that, we
would need to know the time commitment of the key developers, and a manager
owner would need authority over what needs to be worked on (in what order).
That does not really fly in a hobbyists project.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis