[vlc-devel] MPEG-21 File Format support for VLC: Please assist

Michael Grafl michi_1111 at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 24 21:55:32 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I have implemented a prototype of a VLC demux module for the MPEG-21
File Format (*.m21, *.mp21). I would like to contribute my work to VLC,
but it still needs a lot of refactoring and coding.

FYI: With the MPEG-21 File Format, (among other things) an entire music
album can be stored in a single file, similar to iTunes LP.
More information on the format and a discussion with j-b can be found in
the forum: http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=77530

I have attached the zipped version of the patch (unfortunately still for
VLC 1.0.0). Who is willing to help me refactor the module?

Three important aspects for refactoring (from my point of view) are:
- General cleanup: I have based my implementation on the MP4 demux
module and many things are not important to the MP21 module (e.g., the
drms files seem useless)
- Splitting the module into an access module and a demux module, thus
avoiding some cruel hacks
- More general support of the MP21 File Format: My current
implementation only works with MP21 files from my own authoring tool.

j-b suggested that I should cry for help, so pleeease help.

Thanks and best regards,
MyKey_