[vlc-devel] [Bug Report] VLC for Maemo 5 (vlc_1.1.0~rc2.34-1_armel.deb)

James Kairton jameskairton at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 25 10:57:26 CEST 2010

Hi,

I thought I'd share a couple of issues found in the latest build of VLC
for Maemo, found at:
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/maemo/vlc/.

Most of the testing and findings are posted here on the maemo.org
forums: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33739&page=24

First of all, I found with this release that RTSP support is broken. In
comparison to the version found here:
http://www.remlab.net/files/vlc/fremantle/

vlc_1.1.0~git5935-1_armel.deb, as well as the Yellow Bastard release
vlc_1.1.0~git-3049-1_armel.deb. These versions was able to play rtsp
streams, as well as rtsp-http tunneling, but the current version is
unable to play any rtsp streams.

Secondly, there is a problem starting the GUI. Here is a re-post of the
fix from the forums:

The GUI works, but only launchable from Xterm using vlc command (the
icon clears the screen and doesnt do much).The reason why it doesn't
work is because some of the symbolic
links point to the icons in their optified locations that
don't exist. The icon for the desktop file is also missing.

To fix this ssue, you need to remove the symbolic links for these files
with root privledges, namely:

Code:
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/hildon/vlc.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/hildon/vlc.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/hildon/vlc.png

and give your device a reboot so it can find the icon.

Thanks for all your work on this great software - it is turning the
N900 into the ultimate portable media player!

Regards, DG