[vlc-devel] [Bug Report] VLC for Maemo 5 (vlc_1.1.0~rc2.34-1_armel.deb)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Jun 25 20:07:30 CEST 2010

   Hello,

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:57:26 +0000, James Kairton
<jameskairton at hotmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, I found with this release that RTSP support is broken. In
> comparison to the version found here:
> http://www.remlab.net/files/vlc/fremantle/

That is probably a regression in live555. Unfortunately, the maintainer of
that package has consistently refused to implement any kind of sane version
control scheme... So either a trivial update of the package will fix the
issue, or we are screwed.

> Code:
> rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/hildon/vlc.png
> rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/hildon/vlc.png
> rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/hildon/vlc.png
>
> and give your device a reboot so it can find the icon.

I think there is another way to update the icons, but I did not look it up
in the documentation. It makes no sense to reboot the whole device.

> Thanks for all your work on this great software - it is turning the
> N900 into the ultimate portable media player!

I am not so enthusiastic. VLC is quite slow on N900, except for audio
playback and for the three DSP-accelerated video codecs. It seems something
is wrong with the FFmpeg wrapper inside VLC but nobody has ever had all of
time, hardware and skills to investigate the problem this far. As a
reference, decoding MPEG2 Video with plain raw FFmpeg is way faster than
with VLC.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis