[vlc-devel] VLC 1.1.0-git MacOS interface

Ron Frederick ronf at timeheart.net
Sat Mar 6 23:43:46 CET 2010

Hello...

I submitted a patch a few weeks ago to the vlc-devel mailing list. At
the time, I was unable to build 1.1.0-git successfully to test it, but I
did manage to test it successfully in 1.0.5 and then update the patch to
match the changes in the 1.1.0-git tree.

Since then, I have been able to successfully build 1.1.0-git from the
master branch with a bit of manual tweaking, but I haven't been able to
get the resulting VLC.app to actually open a video window. Audio plays
fine, but the video window simply doesn't open. Is it broken at this
point? Before I dive into debugging it, I wanted to check with the
mailing list to see what the current state of things was.

Also, the one thing I'm continuing to have a problem with when building
is related to 'libtool'. The 'libtool' that gets generated when I build
has a line in it of:

ECHO="/bin/echo"

However, it seems that the scripts it invokes need this line to be:

echo="/bin/echo"

After manually changing it, things build correctly. I suspect it is some
kind of version skew between the files checked into the VLC tree and the
version of automake or one of the related tools I have installed.
However, even when I try to fall back to the version installed on MacOS
10.6, I'm still seeing this problem.

I know that a lot of the Mac development has moved on to Lunettes, and I
have also been able to build that successfully. It runs fine, but it is
missing some of the features I need like the ability to configure the
audio and fullscreen video device and to properly integrate with "Remote
Buddy". When I get some more time, I may try to add some of this, but in
the meantime I was hoping to get my patch to the original interface
integrated into 1.1.0-git before release.

--
Ron Frederick
ronf at timeheart.net