[vlc-devel] Win32 audio thread priorities

Kaarlo Räihä kaarlo.raiha at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 20:37:32 CET 2010

I was checking out some VLC message logs and I noticed following when
running with Waveout:
main debug: thread (waveOut Notification Thread) created at priority 1
(waveout.c:348)

when run with DirectX audio output:
main debug: thread (DirectSound Notification Thread) created at priority 15
(directx.c:321)

The priority is different. But according to source code
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=modules/audio_output/waveout.c

Waveout uses VLC_THREAD_PRIORITY_OUTPUT which is defined in
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=include/vlc_threads.h

#define VLC_THREAD_PRIORITY_OUTPUT \
THREAD_PRIORITY_ABOVE_NORMAL

and that according to MSDN it shouldn't return 1 in any case.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms685100(VS.85).aspx

In VLC 0.8.6 the Waveout used VLC_THREAD_PRIORITY_HIGHEST but I can't find
commit log that explains why it was changed.

To my knowledge 1 is way too small value priority for audio thread. I can
send patch to change this, but I would like to know if there is some reason
for this.

And BTW, I will merge all VLC related mailing to this email address. So I
won't use agent 007 at luukku and firstname.surname at tut addresses
anymore.