[vlc-devel] Win32 audio thread priorities

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Mar 13 20:54:49 CET 2010

Le samedi 13 mars 2010 21:37:32 Kaarlo Räihä, vous avez écrit :
(...)
> Waveout uses VLC_THREAD_PRIORITY_OUTPUT which is defined in
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=include/vlc_threads.h
(...)
> In VLC 0.8.6 the Waveout used VLC_THREAD_PRIORITY_HIGHEST but I can't find
> commit log that explains why it was changed.

commit 79223aaeafe7ef625f08551700a6ae4d2a26e8b0
Author: André Weber <WeberAndre at gmx.de>
Date:   Sun Mar 2 18:22:11 2008 +0100

    Bugfix for #492: Audio output on Windows useing SPDIF for AC3 / DTS
    But its still very time critical, because paout gets sometimes empty
    so that aout_OutputNextBuffer(..) doesn't deliver new audiobuffers,
    sometimes it happens - that these buffers arrive very late for output.
    Reasons: -changed CPU load, (extra running application, also fast forward
    seeking and and jumping may lead to this situation.)

    Enhancement #897: added an option to let the user  choose is prefered
audio device. (needs restart of VLC to get applied)
http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis