[vlc-devel] i18n and .ui

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Thu Mar 25 23:33:47 CET 2010

Hello,

Here are some ideas and comments about them on the problem of i18n and
.ui.

Please comment on the various solution and feel free to come-up
with some other solutions

The Problem:

The .ui file contains translatable strings in an XML format.
xgettext doesn't understand such string.
The current po/Makefile.in.in only scan srcdir and not builddir

The potential Solutions:

1/ Add the .h generated from the .ui to the repository (and tarball).
   It is ugly because we store generated file and require extra work
when modifying a .ui

2/ We replace gettext's Makefile.in.in with our own Makefile.in.in (or
Makefile.am) to be able to scan both srcdir and builddir.

3/ We replace gettext's Makefile.in.in with our own Makefile.in.in and
we pipe the .ui through some sed or awk before xgettext to transform the
XML strings in C strings.

2/ and 3/ have the added advantage that we can further tweak the
Makefile to make it more Git-friendly and avoid the need of git stash or
--disable-nls.

Opinions ?

--
Xtophe