[vlc-devel] Live HTTP Streaming (iPhone) for VLC

Keary Griffin keary.griffin at unwiredappeal.com
Fri Mar 26 02:44:56 CET 2010

David Glaude wrote:
> This is a very interesting addition to VLC. (maybe uncompatible with
> the code freeze)
>
> I believe that most piece of software that produce iPhone ready do
> download/segment stream do push with FTP files on the HTTP server.
> That permit a clear separation between the transcoder/segmenter and
> the delivery platform (that could be a simple apache or a CDN
> infrastructure).
>
> David Glaude
This is definitely true, and can be done with this patch by using a
seperate script to manage the index file and copy the segment files.
Every time a segment file is written the new livehttp module outputs an
info message with the filename.  This is how I was working initially,
using a modified version of the ruby script located on this blog:
http://www.ioncannon.net/projects/http-live-video-stream-segmenter-and-distributor/
It would handle the index mangement itself and monitor the output of VLC
for the info message containing the filename of the new segment.  I
would post the script but it's a bit of a hack...

I don't think it would make sense to build support for Amazon
S3/FTP/SCP/CP into VLC itself.  Does it make sense to add an option to
"exec" some script whenever a new segment has been written & added to
the index?

The other thought I had was to allow VLC itself to server up the files
via HTTP-- It has all the HTTP server code necessary (even if I don't
quite understand how to use it yet ;-), and would make the option more
like the other streaming options that actually do the streaming.