[vlc-devel] Can't compile 1.0.5

Jacques Boileau jboileau at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 15:54:14 CEST 2010

Hi Sumit,

Yes I was able to build 1.0.5. The only thing I could not compile was
fluidsynt which I removed from compilation in
extras/package\win32\configure-common.sh. Added --disable-fluidsynth.
I have also created a modified recipe based on the wiki but with the
exact steps I took for later reference. This might help you. I
personnaly have downloaded all the required tools and put them in a
directory for safe keeping. My recipe includes filenames instead of
URLs because of that. Please also note that I install MinGW manually,
package by package, instead of using the full install. I hope this may
help you find what doens't work in your environment. I stored my
recipe in a Word document, it unfortunatly looses a lot of its
formatting in plain text. Also note that I dowloaded the sources
tarball which misses a couple of files. I get those using the web
interface to GIT. This recipe takes this into account.

Jacques Boileau

Recipe to compile VLC 1.0.5 under MinGW

Introduction

MSYS is a helper environment for MinGW, the compiler chain for Windows
based on GCC. It is the fastest way to build VLC natively on Windows.

This howto was re-created by Jean-Baptiste Kempf and updated in June
2009. Changed by Jacques Boileau for Alstom purposes. Updated in
December 2009 and January 2010 by Jean-Baptiste Kempf. Finally
reworked by Jacques Boileau in March 2009 to be compatible with
building VLC 1.0.5.

The following tools are all available along with this document. Look
for them in ‘MinGW, MSys and tools’ directory.

Install MinGW

Unzip the following to C:\MinGW:
•	mingwrt-3.17-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
•	mingwrt-3.17-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
•	w32api-3.14-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
•	binutils-2.20-1-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
•	gmp-4.2.4-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
•	mpfr-2.4.1-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
•	gcc-core-4.4.0-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
•	cross-mingw.gcc442.generic.20091019.7z
•	make-3.81-20090914-mingw32-bin.tar.gz

Add C:\MinGW\bin to your path.

Install MSYS

Before installing MSys rename MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe to
mingw/bin/make.exe. It will be renamed back by MSys post install
script.
Change install path to C:\MinGW\Msys when installing.
Install MSys 1.0.11 with the exe: MSYS-1.0.11.exe
Answers to install questions:
Accept Post Install: [y]
MinGW Installed? :   [y]
path to MinGW:       [c:/MinGW]
Install MSys Developer Tooltkit: msysDTK-1.0.1.exe

AutoTools

Update your autoconf, automake and libtool by downloading and
installing them, keeping in mind that you need to extract the content
to C:\MinGW\Msys
•	autoconf-2.63-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar
•	automake-1.11-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar
•	libtool-2.2.7a-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar

Install other tools

Extract the content to C:\MinGW\Msys:
libcrypt-1.1_1-2-msys-1.0.11-dll-0.tar
Installing mingw-utils is recommended. Extract the content to C:\MinGW:
mingw-utils-0.3.tar.gz
Installation of wget too. Extract the wget-1.9.1\mingwPORT wget.exe to
C:\MinGW\bin:
wget-1.9.1-mingwPORT.tar.bz2

PKG-CONFIG

pkg-config is a mess, this is not NEWS... And you cannot compile it
from Windows because of a few bugs...
Unzip Glib to C:\MinGW\Msys:
glib_2.18.2-1_win32.zip
Unzip PKG-CONFIG to C:\MinGW\Msys:
pkg-config_0.23-3_win32.zip and
pkg-config-dev_0.23-3_win32.zip

VLC sources

Copy the VLC sources in C:\MinGW\Msys:
vlc-1.0.5.tar.bz2

Contribs

Copy the contribs win32 directory in C:\MinGW\Msys creating a win32
directory there
contrib-20100214-win32-bin-gcc-4.4.2-runtime-3.17-only.tar.bz2

Bootstrap VLC

Start C:\MinGW\Msys\msys.bat

Type the following commands:

cd /vlc-1.0.5
cp /usr/win32/share/aclocal/* m4/
cp /usr/share/aclocal/* m4/
PATH=/usr/win32/bin:$PATH ./bootstrap
It should warn about gettext... Just ignore.

Configure

Copy the following files form the VLC Sources directory to
C:\MinGW\Msys\vlc-1.0.5\extras\package\win32

configure-msys.sh
configure-common.sh

Please note that these files a from the VLC Git tree. Also note that
configure-common.h was edited to add ‘--disable-fluidsynth’. The fluid
synth plugin does not compile properly but since it is not required at
all for our needs we simply don’t compile it.

Execute in the msys command window:

sh extras/package/win32/configure-msys.sh

Compile

Execute in the msys command window:

PATH=/usr/win32/bin:$PATH make
Once the compilation is done, you can either run VLC directly from the
source tree or you can build self-contained VLC packages with the
following make rules:

Command 	Description

make package-win32-base 	Creates a subdirectory named vlc-x.x.x with
all the binaries 'stripped' (that is, smallest size, unusable with a
debugger)
make package-win32-zip 	Same as above but will package the directory
in a zip file.
make package-win32 	Same as above but will also create an
auto-installer package. You must have NSIS installed in its default
location for this to work.