[vlc-devel] Current master doesn't compile on an intel Mac

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu May 6 12:14:49 CEST 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010 12:49:51 +0300, Juho Vähä-Herttua <juhovh at iki.fi>
wrote:
> The semaphores are not used in many places, one solution would be to
simply
> not allow use of vlc_sem_init and use vlc_sem_open instead.

Named semaphores stink; forget them. VLC can crash, leak or simply get
killed, so successful unlink cannot be warranted. And then, the semaphore
value may become wrong for subsequent VLC invocations. Also, semaphore
share a per-system name space. This causes problem if more than one VLC
instances run. This also raises security implications if another user
creates a semaphore with the same name.

There are other ways around this issue. I will not work on this however,
since my employer is a competitor to Apple (not to mention that I find
Apple kernel to be totally retarded).

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis