[vlc-devel] Current master doesn't compile on an intel Mac

Juho Vähä-Herttua juhovh at iki.fi
Thu May 6 12:35:26 CEST 2010

On 6.5.2010, at 13.14, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Named semaphores stink; forget them. VLC can crash, leak or simply get
> killed, so successful unlink cannot be warranted. And then, the semaphore
> value may become wrong for subsequent VLC invocations. Also, semaphore
> share a per-system name space. This causes problem if more than one VLC
> instances run. This also raises security implications if another user
> creates a semaphore with the same name.

Good point, the multiple VLC instances alone makes it not usable.

> There are other ways around this issue. I will not work on this however,
> since my employer is a competitor to Apple (not to mention that I find
> Apple kernel to be totally retarded).

Easiest workaround I can see is to define the vlc_sem_t as a struct like we already do for mutex and cond variable on WIN32. (a kernel which I find maybe even more retarded) Unnamed semaphores could be then implemented using a mutex, cond variable and a counter, and it would work on all code using vlc_sem_t without modifications. Comments on that one?

Juho