[vlc-devel] VDA decoder module

Felix Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Sat May 15 17:25:22 CEST 2010

Hey Sebastien,

first of all, thanks for the nice patch. I cannot comment on your MKV
issues, just a note on the following:

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Dilaroga dev <dilaroga at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that the vda decoder is strict about the resolution: it is able to decode only 720p resolution (probably 1080p but
> i've no media for testing).

According to Adobe's release notes of Flash Player 10.1's Gala
release, hardware acceleration based playback is limited to video
clips larger than 480x320. Additionally, playing files with a width of
864 (like most 480p youtube videos) will fail because of a known
limitation of the GeForce 9400M drivers (in case you are using those).

Additionally, it may be important to note that according to their
release note, hardware decoding is limited to 2 instances at a time.
While this is irrelevant for VLC at the present state, it may be
interesting for Lunettes.

Regrettably, I'm unable to test your patch as my Macbook only includes
an Intel GMA 950 GPU, which doesn't support hardware decoding.

Best regards,

Felix