[vlc-devel] VDA decoder module

Dilaroga Dev dilaroga at gmail.com
Sun May 16 17:21:54 CEST 2010

Hi Felix,

On May 15, 2010, at 5:25 PM, Felix Kühne wrote:
> Hey Sebastien,
>
> first of all, thanks for the nice patch. I cannot comment on your MKV
> issues

In fact, I've encountered the "late picture" warnings with others media playback
(ie: Big Bick Bunny 1080p (H264/mov), thus it was not really a mkv specific problem.
The current implementation resolves this issue. I've reduced the number of frames
that are buffered by the vda decoder structure.

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Dilaroga dev <dilaroga at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've noticed that the vda decoder is strict about the resolution: it is able to decode only 720p resolution (probably 1080p but
>> i've no media for testing).
>
> According to Adobe's release notes of Flash Player 10.1's Gala
> release, hardware acceleration based playback is limited to video
> clips larger than 480x320. Additionally, playing files with a width of
> 864 (like most 480p youtube videos) will fail because of a known
> limitation of the GeForce 9400M drivers (in case you are using those).

Thanks for the information! Indeed, the playback of Big Buck Bunny 480p
which has a resolution of 864*480 cannot be decoded by VDADecoder
on my configuration (my MB Pro includes a GeForce 9400M).
In this case, the creation of the vda decoder fails and the module passes
the hand.

> Regrettably, I'm unable to test your patch as my Macbook only includes
> an Intel GMA 950 GPU, which doesn't support hardware decoding.

Ahuuuu! :)

Best regards,
Sebastien.