[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] commit: Linking to X11 is optional (Christophe Mutricy )

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Tue May 25 00:01:58 CEST 2010

> > Linking to X11 is optional
>
> Linking to Xlib is MANDATORY if libpulse has Xlib support (which it normally if not always has), and optional but harmless if it does not.
>
> I would not call this "optional" really.

Optional is maybe a bit weak but we do have #ifdef in pulse.c for the
case where Xlib.h is not present so you could see it as just being
consistent between the various bit of code.

> > if you compile without X and then run with an X-enabled
> > PulseAudio, boom.
>
> This commit complete crap in my opinion. I find build failures in the packagers face a much much much better failure mode than crashing (pseudo-randomly on top of that) in the user face.

That's true that having to modify by hand vlc-cong every time you
configure is nice.

If people compile without the X headers, nd so have no X based vout and
no qt4 intf it's very unlikely that they will run VLC from X.

I think it's really a corner case if people compile without X but still
want audio output.

> Of course, a nice explanatory error in configure is even better than
> an obscure build failure.

Yes, if people notice it in the thousand lines of ouput.

--
Xtophe