[vlc-devel] SoC 2010: DLNA UPnP Server/Client Modules

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue May 25 16:54:04 CEST 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010 14:28:47 +0200, Benjamin Zores <ben at geexbox.org> wrote:
>> I don't know gupnp. But glib being a "piece of crap" as well, I would
>> not recommend it.
>>
>> And glib is not available in VLC for Windows and MacOS (because it is a
>> useless piece of crap).
>
> GLib not available on Windows ?

glib is available on Win32, although it fails miserably to preserve proper
event loop portability (contrary to Qt).

It is however purposefully not included in the VLC contribs. As such
anything that depends on glib will only work on the Linux and BSD ports of
VLC.

> GTK+ relies on it and we have GIMP on
> Windows AFAIK.
> Anyhow, I don't care about the stack you'll choose, I just propose an
> existing alternative (to the very bad libupnp).

At least, libupnp uses POSIX threads, which fits nicely in the VLC plugin
architecture.
Using the glib event loop is most likely to cause severe thread-safety
problems.

But yeah, libupnp suffers from being unmaintained and too low-level.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis