[vlc-devel] SoC 2010: DLNA UPnP Server/Client Modules

Juho Vähä-Herttua juhovh at gmail.com
Tue May 25 17:06:53 CEST 2010

On 25.5.2010, at 17.54, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2010 14:28:47 +0200, Benjamin Zores <ben at geexbox.org> wrote:
>>
>> GLib not available on Windows ?
>
> glib is available on Win32, although it fails miserably to preserve proper
> event loop portability (contrary to Qt).
>
> It is however purposefully not included in the VLC contribs. As such
> anything that depends on glib will only work on the Linux and BSD ports of
> VLC.

Available on Win32 is indeed one thing, once I came across a (rather obvious) race condition causing deadlock in the socket implementation of Win32 glib. The feedback I got for it was something like "you have to have code that triggers the bug easily and even then I'm not sure if I would accept your patch, because it might break some hobby projects that rely on current functionality". This came with a suggestion to build own glib windows binaries with a patch, which I had to do since there was no other way around it.

A year or so later someone else reported the same bug with a patch and was luckier to get it upstream. I doubt I will ever bother with Win32 glib again though. I can agree on the mainloop portability problems, which this bug was also related to.

Juho