[vlc-devel] Tagging start of 1.2.0 development

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Nov 2 09:30:20 CET 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 08:14:55 +0100, Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I suggest we do:
> git tag -m "Start of 1.2.0 development" 1.2.0-dev 9003bdea2d4
>
> 9003bdea2d4 is the common ancestor to 1.2 and 1.1 as confirmed by
> "git merge-base 1.1.0 master"

By design of git, there may be more than one common ancestor, such that
none of them are common ancestors of the others.
This can happen if more than one independent branch are merged into both
trees. In fact, I think this had happened between 0.9 and 1.0.

> Note this commit is already tagged as 1.1.0-pre1

> That way git-describe would show something like
> 1.2.0-dev-2310-gef2ea79
> instead of
> 1.1.0-pre1-2310-gef2ea79
>
> Any drawback that i didn't think about?

Are you sure that git will select the right tag in this case?

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis