[vlc-devel] commit: contrib: Remove the TOOLS hack for darwin. (Pierre d'Herbemont )

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 05:08:21 CET 2010

On Tue,  2 Nov 2010 22:28:22 +0100 (CET)
git at videolan.org wrote:

> vlc | branch: master | Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr> | Tue
> Nov  2 22:25:59 2010 +0100|
> [257d6f3ba1463429b8f624c9b436758d7e02b7be] | committer: Pierre
> d'Herbemont
>
> contrib: Remove the TOOLS hack for darwin.
>
> This introduce a circular dependency.

Which was correctly handled by gmake

> The correct way

Contribs are not meant to be a perfection of Makefile rules but a quick
way to have libraries be built for win32 and osx.
They might be used for other platforms but the first goal is windows
and osx.

So "The correct way" is whatever can build these libs for win32/osx on
existing systems, and 95% of these systems can be assumed to be altair
and jones.

> (which what Rafael is doing) is to explicitely set
> the dependencies in the .package to automake, libtool...

I honestly hope you don't think I'm going to go through every package
and see if it depends on libtool and/or automake.
It would be a time consuming task with no benefit but beauty of the
Makefile rules.

If you think it's the way to be done (i don't agree with that btw), I
also fail to see why you couldn't do it yourself.

Finally since you keep on reverting my work I think the least I can do
is stop caring and making contribs build for OSX since I don't even use
this system.

Just pay attention to not break windows contribs and not add
unnecessarily complex things in those Makefiles.
contribs is a big hack so the least thing we can do is keep it simple
as possible so it can be quickly hacked.

--
Rafaël Carré