[vlc-devel] commit: contrib: Remove the TOOLS hack for darwin. (Pierre d'Herbemont )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Wed Nov 3 10:48:09 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue,  2 Nov 2010 22:28:22 +0100 (CET)
> git at videolan.org wrote:
>
>> vlc | branch: master | Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr> | Tue
>> Nov  2 22:25:59 2010 +0100|
>> [257d6f3ba1463429b8f624c9b436758d7e02b7be] | committer: Pierre
>> d'Herbemont
>>
>> contrib: Remove the TOOLS hack for darwin.
>>
>> This introduce a circular dependency.
>
> Which was correctly handled by gmake

>> The correct way
>
> Contribs are not meant to be a perfection of Makefile rules but a quick
> way to have libraries be built for win32 and osx.
> They might be used for other platforms but the first goal is windows
> and osx.
>
> So "The correct way" is whatever can build these libs for win32/osx on
> existing systems, and 95% of these systems can be assumed to be altair
> and jones.

Let's add the iOS stuff now :/

>> (which what Rafael is doing) is to explicitely set
>> the dependencies in the .package to automake, libtool...
>
> I honestly hope you don't think I'm going to go through every package
> and see if it depends on libtool and/or automake.
> It would be a time consuming task with no benefit but beauty of the
> Makefile rules.

Sorry about this.

> If you think it's the way to be done (i don't agree with that btw), I
> also fail to see why you couldn't do it yourself.

I thought you were doing this seeing your previous commit. Sorry again.

> Finally since you keep on reverting my work I think the least I can do
> is stop caring and making contribs build for OSX since I don't even use
> this system.

Sorry, I thought I was helping. I should have mailed you first.

> Just pay attention to not break windows contribs and not add
> unnecessarily complex things in those Makefiles.
> contribs is a big hack so the least thing we can do is keep it simple
> as possible so it can be quickly hacked.

Yes, it's a complete package manager. I am sure we can clean it a bit
though, and make it a bit more robust.

Sorry again Rafael, I was trying to improve what you were doing, so
that it would work here.

Pierre.