[vlc-devel] commit: contrib: Remove the TOOLS hack for darwin. (Pierre d'Herbemont )

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 12:28:25 CET 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 10:48:09 +0100
"Pierre d'Herbemont" <pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue,  2 Nov 2010 22:28:22 +0100 (CET)
> > git at videolan.org wrote:
> >
> >> vlc | branch: master | Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr> |
> >> Tue Nov  2 22:25:59 2010 +0100|
> >> [257d6f3ba1463429b8f624c9b436758d7e02b7be] | committer: Pierre
> >> d'Herbemont
> >>
> >> contrib: Remove the TOOLS hack for darwin.
> >>
> >> This introduce a circular dependency.
> >
> > Which was correctly handled by gmake
>

> >> The correct way
> >
> > Contribs are not meant to be a perfection of Makefile rules but a
> > quick way to have libraries be built for win32 and osx.
> > They might be used for other platforms but the first goal is windows
> > and osx.
> >
> > So "The correct way" is whatever can build these libs for win32/osx
> > on existing systems, and 95% of these systems can be assumed to be
> > altair and jones.
>
> Let's add the iOS stuff now :/
>
> >> (which what Rafael is doing) is to explicitely set
> >> the dependencies in the .package to automake, libtool...
> >
> > I honestly hope you don't think I'm going to go through every
> > package and see if it depends on libtool and/or automake.
> > It would be a time consuming task with no benefit but beauty of the
> > Makefile rules.
>
> Sorry about this.
>
> > If you think it's the way to be done (i don't agree with that btw),
> > I also fail to see why you couldn't do it yourself.
>
> I thought you were doing this seeing your previous commit. Sorry
> again.
>
> > Finally since you keep on reverting my work I think the least I can
> > do is stop caring and making contribs build for OSX since I don't
> > even use this system.
>
> Sorry, I thought I was helping. I should have mailed you first.
>
> > Just pay attention to not break windows contribs and not add
> > unnecessarily complex things in those Makefiles.
> > contribs is a big hack so the least thing we can do is keep it
> > simple as possible so it can be quickly hacked.
>
> Yes, it's a complete package manager. I am sure we can clean it a bit
> though, and make it a bit more robust.
>
> Sorry again Rafael, I was trying to improve what you were doing, so
> that it would work here.

It's true that removing a hack is improving things (I hadn't seen the
cyclic dependancy when i committed this but i had noticed it after and
jones' make seemed to do the right thing)

In this specific case though it's reintroducing the problem first
reported by you: that concurrent make jobs can break the build if
packages are built before their tool dependancy

btw the tools needed to build contribs are "only" libtool and perhaps
'intl':

- (more recent than provided by the system) autoconf/automake are not
  needed by contribs, only vlc
- yasm is only needed by a few packages (x264/libvpx) so it can be
  removed from distribution/*.mak and be an explicit dep

So that'll leave probably only libtool

Making extras/contrib a real package manager looks like a hard job to
solve a simple task instead of just making sure that libtool is the
first target to be built

Let's discuss that over irc i think it's simpler

--
Rafaël Carré