[vlc-devel] FSF position on GPLv2 & current App Store terms

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Nov 3 12:44:50 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 12:34:12PM +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> To me. Sorry for the confusion, I did not realize this was only private
> mail.
I still did not see it.

> Who forced which developers to quit this project?! FSF cannot force anybody
> to quit, neither can I.
Attitudes and fight in the community can make developers leave.

> That said, if people cannot stand the GPL, I wonder why they came to begin
> with.
Noone cannot stand the GPL so far. Asking explanation about the GPL is
not 'not standing the GPL', especially when many lawyers says it is
unclear (the herein debate shows it).

> > I don't like the FSF making the situation explode and giving me a lot of
> > work, and not even aknowledging this is wrong.
>
> This would have happened regardless of the FSF. I don't think the FSF can
> be blamed for this.
Maybe, maybe not. I believe they made things worse, especially seeing
the timing of other news articles and links to them.

> This has happened because MobileVLC was published,
> VideoLAN promoted it and I complained. This has nothing to do with the FSF.
I disagree.
We are not going to agree on that part anyway.

> We can blame them for misrepresenting the project. We can disagree with
> their political views. We can think that they are being biased against
> Apple.
Which is what I am complaining about (misrepresenting the project).
Nothing else.

The analysis was fine, and I answered to it, asking precise questions
(that are still unanswered).

> But lets not blame them for what Applidium, Apple, the VLC
> developers and I combined have done.
I am complaining about inflaming the situation from the FSF part and
misleading people on this issue.

> Really, Brett just said it was a DRM
> issue when it was not solely and specifically a DRM issue, and admittedly
> should have explained their analysis _first_.

I flamed Brett, because he did not come to vlc-devel for an analysis first.
For exactly this reason, nothing else.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/