[vlc-devel] FSF position on GPLv2 & current App Store terms

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Nov 3 12:34:12 CET 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 12:14:52 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
>> Yes. And Brett apologized and offered to clarify it. But instead you
>> went
> Where did he apologized?

To me. Sorry for the confusion, I did not realize this was only private
mail.

>> > Once again, I care about the users of VLC.
>> And I care about the developers community. Users are cheap. Developers
>> aren't.
> Especially when one force them to quit the project.

Who forced which developers to quit this project?! FSF cannot force anybody
to quit, neither can I.

That said, if people cannot stand the GPL, I wonder why they came to begin
with.

> I don't like the FSF making the situation explode and giving me a lot of
> work, and not even aknowledging this is wrong.

This would have happened regardless of the FSF. I don't think the FSF can
be blamed for this. This has happened because MobileVLC was published,
VideoLAN promoted it and I complained. This has nothing to do with the FSF.

We can blame them for misrepresenting the project. We can disagree with
their political views. We can think that they are being biased against
Apple. But lets not blame them for what Applidium, Apple, the VLC
developers and I combined have done. Really, Brett just said it was a DRM
issue when it was not solely and specifically a DRM issue, and admittedly
should have explained their analysis _first_.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis