[vlc-devel] Reaction to the VLC on iOS issue

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Fri Nov 5 00:21:37 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:39 PM, David Glaude <david.glaude at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yet another possible path for action...

No, this would be only a consequence of what was said.

>> >    the abuse: write a wrapper EULA for the GPL, reaffirm violated
>> >    rights in the about box...
>> >  - Without doing PR, make moves to support GPL rights and work around
>> This is something clever that Applidium could do.
>
> Maybe Applidium could release a "Cydia" (or else) version of MobileVLC that
> could be installed on iPhone that have been jailbreaked.

It doesn't have to be Applidium. Applidium published the thing on
their account because VideoLAN didn't have one and wasn't able to get
one at that time. If VideoLAN asks Applidium to remove the app this
will be done (as Romain said, and he means it).

> If Applidium is not willing to make that move for "marketting" reason.
> Then anybody else with capabilities to compile an iOS version of VLC could
> do that and maybe call it FreeVLC ;-).

There is already a VLC on Cydia. It's pretty a bad derivative, and
it's pretty much breaking the GPL as the sources are not public (to my
knowledge at least), and even less merged - That is a real example of
what the GPL should protect us against.

On top of that the guy is even asking for a fee if you want to download it.

> To me it would mean that even if Apple decide to remove MobileVLC from the
> AppStore, some (most?) end-user will not be affected.

Certainly not most. A tiny fraction probably.

Pierre.