[vlc-devel] Reaction to the VLC on iOS issue

David Glaude david.glaude at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 22:39:54 CET 2010

Yet another possible path for action...

2010/11/3 Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>

> >    the abuse: write a wrapper EULA for the GPL, reaffirm violated
> >    rights in the about box...
> >  - Without doing PR, make moves to support GPL rights and work around
> This is something clever that Applidium could do.

Maybe Applidium could release a "Cydia" (or else) version of MobileVLC that
could be installed on iPhone that have been jailbreaked.

If Applidium is not willing to make that move for "marketting" reason.
Then anybody else with capabilities to compile an iOS version of VLC could
do that and maybe call it FreeVLC ;-).

To me it would mean that even if Apple decide to remove MobileVLC from the
AppStore, some (most?) end-user will not be affected. At least the bad PR
from MobileVLC removal would be counter with an alternate solution.

If there is for iPhone and a standard way to install a package outside of
the Store (like the apk file of Android)... then that would be the way to
go.

David Glaude

PS: I am not an iPhone owner... I am clueless about jailbreaking and such.
PPS: Of course one will have to verify if the Cydia EULA is compatible with
the GPL.