[vlc-devel] 1.1.4 runtime audio issue

Mustafa Kuscu mustafakuscu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 15:24:50 CET 2010

Hi Kaarlo,

Thanks for the response. Further investigating the issue, it appears that
there was a huge difference between the streams. I was assuming they were
both the same at first. Now the issue shifts to why i can't decode mp4a with
avcodec. And I will need to be able to play both as the encoder person is
out of my control.

Also, see workaround below.. pertaining to libfaad..

Works (when audio encoder is mp3):
[0x6c243c] ts demux debug:   * es pid=68 type=4 fcc=mpga
[0x68a54c] main input debug: selecting program id=1
[0x50dc144] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 33 candidates
[0x50dc144] main decoder debug: using decoder module "mpeg_audio"
[0x50dc144] main decoder debug: TIMER module_need() : 42.000 ms - Total
42.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 42.000 ms)
[0x50dc144] main decoder debug: thread (decoder) created at priority 2
(input/decoder.c:301)
[0x50dc144] main decoder debug: thread started

Fails (mpeg aac):
ts debug:   * es pid=68 type=15 fcc=mp4a
main debug: selecting program id=1
main debug: looking for decoder module: 33 candidates
avcodec debug: libavcodec initialized (interface 0x344b01)
avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG AAC Audio) started
avcodec debug: Using 192000 bytes output buffer
main debug: using decoder module "avcodec"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 24.000 ms - Total 24.000 ms / 1 intvls
(Avg 24.000 ms)
main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates

Workaround:
Also we have noticed that, if I copy libfaad_plugin from the original 1.1.4
distribution to the custom build's plugin directory, it can play mp4a.
[0x20da444] ts demux debug:   * es pid=68 type=15 fcc=mp4a
[0x209a54c] main input debug: selecting program id=1
[0x3acc534] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 34 candidates
[0x3acc534] main decoder debug: using decoder module "faad"
[0x3acc534] main decoder debug: TIMER module_need() : 17.000 ms - Total
17.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 17.000 ms)

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Kaarlo Räihä <kaarlo.raiha at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/11/5 Mustafa Kuscu <mustafakuscu at gmail.com>
>
> Hi all,
>>
>> In the following scenario, all clients can receive audio stream but cannot
>> play it. Video plays OK.
>>
>> * rtp multicast stream
>> * custom compiled vlc-1.1.4, using configure with: --disable-update-check
>> --disable-nls
>> * fairly recent contribs + a recent mingw32 gcc: i586-mingw32msvc-g++
>> (GCC) 4.4.2
>>
>> VLC log is flooded with the following:
>>
>> avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (311 bytes)
>> avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (321 bytes)
>> avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (320 bytes)
>> avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (310 bytes)
>> avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (327 bytes)
>> avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (320 bytes)
>>
>> This happens on a mainstream group of Win XP PCs which may be missing
>> directx, etc.
>> However, on a Win7 PC , the same package can play the stream without a
>> problem.
>>

> Is the log same on non-working and working setups? Specially I would like
> to know which audio decoder VLC uses in working setups (near main debug:
> looking for decoder module).
>

>> Any ideas on how to fix it? Do I need to enable a specific audio module?
>> The full log is attached.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mustafa

Mustafa