[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] commit: contrib: Fixed SVN version number for contribs. (Pierre d' Herbemont )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Thu Nov 18 09:40:36 CET 2010

Let me rephrase that for you "I want" and then, "you don't". :)

> We do that for the stable version, not for the development version.
> See 1.0 and 1.1 branch.

It's certainly a good start. And as the release manager it's up to you. But
fixing now and then external dependencies, even during development cycles is
a waste of time.

On Mac OS X, the simplest work around I have found is to use by default
pre-built binaries, since it also reduce the build time. This also ensure
that we have a very precise git-revision->set of contrib link. I would
strongly advise Windows folks to do the same.

Now the reason I do that, is that, what if we want to re-create the very
same contrib snapshot from a given revision number? We can't. It's a pity
not to be sure that the regression is not in the contrib from two snapshots.

What also about GPL there? Since we are redistributing nighlties, we have to
re-distribute the exact sources, and at least point at what version we've
embed in.

No, seriously, I think this has to be done. What concern do you have? If the
idea is to be able to simply update to latest SVN revision, we could do a
script for that. Is that it?

Pierre.