[vlc-devel] rtcp and udp port collision

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Oct 22 19:40:22 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 22 octobre 2010 14:29:20 Sébastien Escudier, vous avez écrit :
> But, in the case I describe, we know DEST is taken by the client, which
> may be on the same computer, so we shouldn't bind DEST-1. This is what's
> happening with me.
> And to avoid this, we could bind only even ports number for SRC.
> Moreover, as noticed by David, this seems to be a common practice.

I checked the VLC RTP output code. It ignores failure to create the RTCP
socket (this is another bug). So it must be the client that fails.

That would be live555, not VLC. This is pretty stupid. The client should
allocate both RTP and RTCP ports *before* it contacts the server. Then, for
lack of atomic multi-bind(), the client should run a live loop until it
obtains a working pair.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis