[vlc-devel] Formal complaint - censorship

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Oct 26 12:38:51 CEST 2010

----- Message d'origine -----
>  - First, everyone know what you did. Including yourself, obviously.
> Your post on planet.videolan.org was meant to be understood as a PR
> from VideoLAN. While clearly it is not. It's your only your own
> personnal feeling. So go post that on your own personal blog.

This is preposterous. I have done numerous PR on behalf of the project. When I do that, I always mention it and use official means: the official website and/or the announcements mailing list. Thdi time I used my personal feed and signed with my lone name.

I find it disturbing that I am wrongly accused of impersonating the project, while you obviously benefited from advertisment by said project, and I did not. But that is to be expected when the website admins have made themselves party to the argument.

>  - Now I really don't get all the hatred. MobileVLC is licensed under
> GPLv2. All the sourcecode is open, and _anyone_ can download the
> source and tinker with it. Now _some people_ assert that Apple
> distributing an app is a violation of the GPL. This remains to be
> proved.

This is a matter of principles - enforcing my IPR. Besides, Apple is benefiting from indirect promotion in distributing VLC on their platform, so it is only fair that I (and others) require them to play by the rules.

>  - Last, but not least : in the "spirit" of the GPL, I really can't
> see where things don't work. Sources are open, anyone can modify,
> rebuild, and run. For instance, if the app was submitted on a
> "jailbroken appstore" like Cydia, the deal wouldn't be any
> different...

It would be much different. Otherwise, you wouod not have bothered with AppStore submission to begin with.

--
Rémi