[vlc-devel] Formal complaint - censorship

Geoffroy Couprie geo.couprie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:02:27 CEST 2010

2010/10/26 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:
> [...]

Well, for people outside of VideoLAN,  it looked like an official
statement. Without a sentence like "Warning, this is my own opinion,
not the consensus in VideoLAN", anyone following planet.v.o would
think this is an official decision (moreover with formulations like "a
formal notification of copyright infringement was sent" instead of "I
sent a formal notification").

I won't debate about legal aspects, GPL and Apple's ToS (because
1.IANAL 2.I am not a mindless follower of Stallman 3.I don't really
care about iOS). But I think this was really bad PR, and that you
should at least warn the developers when you're about to release such
a statement.

Best regards,

Geoffroy