[vlc-devel] Formal complaint - censorship

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Oct 26 13:15:36 CEST 2010

----- Message d'origine -----
> Well, for people outside of VideoLAN,  it looked like an official
> statement. Without a sentence like "Warning, this is my own opinion,
> not the consensus in VideoLAN", anyone following planet.v.o would
> think this is an official decision

Maybe. Is that a reason to censor me? I doubt it. But if it is a reason to censor me, then whoever used Twitter or the official website for promotion should have gone through a tougher sanction. They did not get anything.

> (moreover with formulations like "a
> formal notification of copyright infringement was sent" instead of "I
> sent a formal notification").

"I" is much too self-important in this context. If it been the VL project, I would have written it "The project sent" though.

> I won't debate about legal aspects, GPL and Apple's ToS (because
> 1.IANAL 2.I am not a mindless follower of Stallman 3.I don't really
> care about iOS). But I think this was really bad PR, and that you
> should at least warn the developers when you're about to release such
> a statement.

I warned that I sent a notification to Apple. I do not have to account on my freedom of expression nor enforcing my IPR.

And this is visible anyway, so censorship just casts a bad light on the project. Much deservedly, I am sad to say.

--
Rémi