[vlc-devel] Formal complaint - censorship

salsaman salsaman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 14:03:10 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Geoffroy Couprie <geo.couprie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 1:07 PM, salsaman <salsaman at gmail.com> wrote:

Well, there is the difference. *I* care more about license violation
than about PR.

> "Normal" people don't understand license compatibility, the difference
> between free software and open source, etc.

Then that is all the more reason why we, who do understand such
nuances, should be looking out to protect their rights.

> But what they will
> understand is that VideoLAN announced and promoted iOS versions of
> VLC, and then backpedaled accusing Apple of infringing copyright. We
> will look stupid, and Apple will take a shot at it.

Then I am sorry, but the VLC team should have read the Apple TOS
first, and realised they were incompatible with GPL under which most
(if not all) VLC contributors released their code.

IMO, the best PR would be to say "sorry, we made a mistake, Apple's
TOS do not allow us to release our code through their AppStore. If
Apple change their policies then we can start to distribute it again
via that channel". Then you are clearly placing the blame on Apple,
which is as it should be.

>> Looks like I will not be contributing any more to the vlc project. In
>> fact should you continue to distribute any of my code via the
>> AppStore, I will look into taking legal action against you.
>
> As I said, I don't like when it gets emotional. Don't leave the
> project just because someone made an offending comment, it would be a
> great loss, for you and for VideoLAN.

I will contribute again, but only if you can guarantee me that my code
will only be released under terms compatible with the GPL. (which
apparently does not include the Apple AppStore).

Regards,
Salsaman.

http://lives.sourceforge.net
https://www.ohloh.net/accounts/salsaman