[vlc-devel] STOP! Think. Act... (was Re: Formal complaint -censorship)

Guy Perkins me at atdotmedotuk.me.uk
Wed Oct 27 04:21:11 CEST 2010

Absolutely. Agree totally.

(I may be repeating some of Yuval's thread, but I will anyway)
All the great things about VLC & all the work that has been done all
over the world on such a ground breaking & universal app, no wonder
people want it.(Don't be surprised, be proud)

Please keep perspective.
This issue, although appearing massive now, is really dwarfed by VLC &
it's massive achievements, that all of you have contributed to.
That means "you", yes, all of you.
Sure there may be some of you that currently feel aggrieved in some way,
but please everybody take a step back & understand & appreciate
"everyone's" genuine input, both past & present.

Hence my total agreement with Yuval's sentiment.
Please get together, decide what VLC wants & needs, how is best to
achieve it, and watch the common ground appear like lines of beautiful
code before your eyes.

While I understand and appreciate Yuval's restraint in offering an
opinion, the only comment I would offer, (again from a position of a
mere user with interest), is that people who coded & contributed in the
past on the basis of the GNU should be respected. Without their past
input I'm sure VLC would not be what it is today, if in existence at
all.

That said, please also appreciate peoples genuine desire to see VLC
where it should be, right at the top.
I'm sure there will be a way to achieve this that is agreeable to the
vlc-devel team and I'm also confident that you will all find it.

So, please do not lose sight of the real appreciation of users all over
the globe who owe each and every one of you much much more than a beer
or 2.
Let's face it, some of the largest corporations in the world with
billions of dollars in the bank are still peddling OS's & apps that can
only be described a legacy product.(Hell, the planet runs on them.)

Be proud, each and every one of you. You are stars. ALL OF YOU!!!

Sincere thanks and appreciation.

Guy