[vlc-devel] STOP! Think. Act... (was Re: Formal complaint - censorship)

Yuval Levy vlc07 at sfina.com
Tue Oct 26 21:10:25 CEST 2010

Hey guys,

this looks ugly, is getting uglier, and guess who is winning and who is losing
here?

1.   It's a fact that Apple and copyleft are like oil and water.  They don't
mix well. The App Store's terms are incompatible with GPLv2 (additional
distribution restrictions).

2.  Rémi's PR backfired.  Optimal would have been to ask Apple to comply with
the GPL and let them sort out how.  Publish the request and Apple's answer and
let the public judge Apple by its own action.  Not to request negative action
and blurt about it in public.

3.  From a Public Relations perspective it makes sense to temporarily suspend
the planet and iron out the differences *in private*.  Not to wait for the
problem to spill out on a public mailing list.  To add an "opinions expressed
hereafter" blah blah exacerbates the conflict.

*Have you tried to contact Rémi before he posted here?  YES or NO?*

4.  All the insults at Richard (J) Stallman's and Steve (M) Jobs' followers do
not help  VLC.  I hope that most people here are agnostic or tolerant enough
to recognize that the cone rules here, not the forbidden fruit or the African
bovine.  Karma over dogma.  Stop trading insults over such a silly dispute.

5.  The dispute ("censorship") is silly.  The underlying cause (license
infringement) is not.  There may be good reasons to be tolerant of grey zones.
Or not.  Pull yourself together.  List the pros and cons for tolerating a grey
zone in the case of the App Store.  Make a common decision and act
accordingly.  As a team, not as individuals.  Fix the ugly PR.  Fix the
temporary suspension of the planet.  Get back to be the heroes coding on the
best media player in the world.

If you want my personal opinion on the issue and how to fix it, let me know.
For now I keep my two cents for myself because I don't consider myself
important enough to your community.  I'm just a user who loves VLC.

So:
1. list the pros and cons of living with the App Store vs. GPL gray zone
2. decide if you can live with it or not
3. act upon it
4. fix the pr
5. fix the planet
6. live long and prosper